Substitute Information

General Information

The Mendocino County Office of Education (MCOE) maintains Certificated and Classified substitute lists for our Alternative Education, Special Education and Vocational Education Programs.  If you are interested in obtaining a substitute application packet for our programs, please contact our Credentials Analyst Samantha Travis by phone at 707-467-5010 or by email .

Each school district in Mendocino County maintains their own Certificated and Classified substitute lists.  For general education K-12 substitute teaching, please contact the district(s) in which you are interested for their specific substitute application packet.  A list of the school districts in Mendocino County can be found here.

All substitutes must be fingerprinted for substitute employment in Mendocino County.  It is suggested you print for the Consortium, as this will allow you to substitute in multiple districts on just one set of fingerprints.  Consortium fingerprint forms can be obtained from MCOE, our Coast Center (300A Dana Street, Fort Bragg) or your local school district.

 Additionally, all substitutes must have a valid, negative tuberculosis screen on file with MCOE.  Screens are valid for four years.  Your personal doctor, public health department or health clinic can perform the test for a fee.

 Certificated Substituting

MCOE assists potential certificated substitutes with obtaining or registering substitute permits and teaching credentials.  Potential substitutes must currently have a valid teaching credential or be eligible to apply for a 30-Day Substitute Permit with the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.  Please make an appointment with our Credentials Analyst Samantha Travis at 707-467-5010 or email to start the process. 

Classified Substituting

MCOE programs and departments are sometimes in need of classified substitutes.  An example of classified work would be instructional paraprofessionals (classroom aides), preschool aides and clerical support.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How much will it cost?

The total cost for becoming a substitute teacher depends on several factors - whether or not you have already been fingerprinted for the CTC; whether or not you already hold a credential / permit; and whether or not you are a current employee of a school district.  Depending on your particular scenario, the cost could range from between $32 and $130.  Feel free to contact our office to determine your cost.

  • How long does it take to get an Emergency 30 Day Substitute Permit?

MCOE will recommend you online once your fingerprint clearance is received by the DOJ.  Once the CTC receives the online recommendation you will receive an email with a link to the CTC website.  You must complete the application and pay the $57 fee through the CTC website in order for your permit to be issued.  If you have no criminal history the permit will usually be issued within 10 days from the time the application process is completed.

  • How soon will I be able to work?

In order to be cleared for substitute teaching in Mendocino County, you must complete the appropriate paperwork and have fingerprint clearance and a credential or permit on file. Once fingerprints are submitted, the Department of Justice (DOJ) provides a response which is then reviewed by MCOE to determine clearance status.  Substitute teachers are generally cleared to work within 2-5 days from the time fingerprints are submitted if the report is not held up due to the DOJ's process.

  • I want to substitute in other counties. Will I be able to do that?

If you already hold an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit or a teaching credential that authorizes substitute teaching, you are eligible to substitute statewide and you may go to any county in the state and apply to substitute teach.  If you do not currently hold a permit or credential, you may contact our office and we will assist you in applying for one.   Please note, that fingerprint clearance will be required for each county in which you are interested in substituting. 

  • I had an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Permit that has expired.  How do I renew it?

To renew a substitute permit, visit the CTC website at and follow the prompts to renew.  The cost to renew is $57, and a credit card is required. 

Please note: if your document expires before you renew, contact MCOE immediately.

  • I have been fingerprinted in the past for another district / organization.  Will I need to be fingerprinted again?

Yes.  You must be fingerprinted through the live scan process specifically for MCOE in order to substitute teach in Mendocino County. Mendocino County is the “contributing agency” when fingerprints are transmitted to the DOJ.  In California it is prohibited by law for multiple agencies to share confidential fingerprint results with another.

  • I had my fingerprints done for the Consortium several years ago, but I have not been working.  What do I need to do to start working again?

The first step would be to contact our office to determine if you are still active in our database. If not, we will advise you regarding the next steps.

  • Do all school districts pay the same?

The pay rate for substitute teachers in Mendocino County varies from district to district. Contact each school district directly to inquire about their current rate of pay.

MCOE pays substitute teachers $125 per day in Alternative Education and Special Education classrooms; and substitute teachers in Vocational Education classrooms are paid $2 more than the daily rate of the district in which the classroom is housed.

Back to the top
2240 Old River Road Ukiah, CA 95482 • Phone: 707-467-5000 • Fax: 707-462-0379

Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Site Map

IES-WEB4 Copyright © 2001-2015. All Rights Reserved.
Web Development by Cyberschool & IES, Inc.